Monday, May 02, 2011

THE BLACKOUT plus HYRO DA HERO and SWELLERS

Friday April 8th 2011
THE BLACKOUT plus HYRO DA HERO and SWELLERS
Manchester Academy 2

I have been a bit lax in updating my blog lately, no real reason, just being lazy.  Its not like I haven't had any spare time - I'm currently at the end of my second long weekend.  Last week was Easter and then we had Friday off for William and Kate's Wedding, which was quite lovely, and today is Mayday.

We had a lovely barbecue at the house yesterday for Mum's 71st birthday and my sister Sally and her brood came along too - most enjoyable.  Not sure I should have given Mum that huge bottle of Lambrini though!

Aaanyway ... back to the gig ... Luke and Aimee both joined me for this one - we all really like the Blackout, so much so that we're going to see them again later in the year.  Not sure if I've mentioned it before but Aimee has her name printed in the album sleeve for Hope as she bought the album before it was even made.

The queue was already huge when we got to the Academy, and we stood behind a couple of orange-legged girls who confirmed that we were indeed in the right queue.  They had massive sunglasses on, which I decided were only to protect their eyes from the bright glow of their own fake tanned lower halves.

As the crowd started moving forward we spotted something on fire on the grass next to us ... its amazing what people will do during a few minutes of boredom!

The organisation inside wasn't up to much and we seemed to join the middle of the crowd going in, which basically meant we had inadvertently jumped the queue ... oops.  Once inside we went to the front and I took up my usual position down the left, along with the rest of the middle aged parents!

First on were the Swellers from Michigan.  They are a melodic punk band and they got the gig off to a good start.

I have never seen so many floating condoms in such a small space - I don't know how these youngsters can afford to waste them!  Kids ..
I enjoyed the Swellers anyway, especially the very handsome chap on the right hand side ... sorry I don't know his name!

Next on stage was Hyro Da Hero - he's the rapper that appears on Higher and Higher by the Blackout. 

I wasn't sure what I'd think of him at first - I do like some rap but I'd not heard any of Hyro's stuff before.  I needn't have worried though as he was really good and he really got the audience jumping.  Aimee's not a rap fan normally but she liked him too - even bought his album when we got home.  He and his band had loads of energy and everybody loved his set.

He also came out later and joined the Blackout for Higher and Higher.

The Blackout appeared to raucous screams and applause, as always.

There's not an awful lot I can say about them that I haven't already said.  They are always very entertaining and they always put on a great show.  As ever Aimee did a bit of recording for your viewing pleasure >> Aimee's Videography

Aimee has persuaded me that we need to see them again (twice) later in the year ... guess that makes us fans then.

I'll close this entry there as I still have another one to write before I'm up to date!

TTFN x

No comments:

Post a Comment