Wednesday, March 30, 2011

FUNERAL FOR A FRIEND plus RISE TO REMAIN and TIGER PLEASE

Monday March 28th 2011
FUNERAL FOR A FRIEND plus RISE TO REMAIN and TIGER PLEASE
Sugarmill, Stoke

A nice local gig to end the month on.  The doors didn't open until 7.30 so we had a bit of a treat and went to MacDonalds on the way ... brought back memories that did.

We still got there early but I couldn't see a queue so thought they might have opened the doors already.  I persuaded the kids to get out of the car and we went around to the venue.  There was a bit of a queue but it was a nice evening so we waited.

It was almost empty when we got inside so the kids went straight to the front with 2 of Aimee's friends who were also there.  I went over to them, much to their disappointment, but then I decided it might be a good move to go up onto the balcony, which was empty at this point.  I went up and stood right above their heads so I could keep my eye on them.

I had a drink and then settled myself in, leaning against a pillar and overlooking the stage - brilliant!  The only unpleasant thing was that my feet were completely stuck to the floor ... eww.

Luke and Aimee were shouting up to me which distracted me from putting my earplugs in, so when Tiger Please came on they almost deafened me.  I noticed that the crowd barrier had been moved back and then realised why.

The stage at the Sugarmill isn't very big and there was a lot of equipment on it, so Tiger Please's singer was actually performing from the floor in front of the stage.  It was OK for me, I could see everything from my vantage point, but most of the growing crowd wouldn't have had a clue where he was.

The band are from Cardiff and class themselves as Indie rock.  They weren't bad but the audience didn't really seem that bothered.  The singer took his microphone into the crowd at one point and got very close up and personal with a bunch of people who looked slightly terrified ... especially when his mate chucked a huge drum over to him.  Needless to say no-one was moshing.

When Rise To Remain came on the whole place seemed to come alive.  The lead singer is the son of Iron Maiden front man Bruce Dickinson, which I should have realised, but was informed by Aimee afterwards. 

I'm sure she's told me before but there's only so much information my poor brain can retain!

Anyway, he looks just like his dad and even sounded a little similar so I really should have worked it out for myself.  I thought the drummer looked a bit like a young Colin Farrell, but I'm on my own with that one.

Their biggest fan appeared to be in the audience - he was a one man mosh pit, and managed to clear himself a large area as no-one would go near him.  He managed to drag a couple of other blokes into his wild antics but mostly he was on his own.

We all liked them, especially Luke.  He commandeered Aimee's camera to do some recording of his own here>>>Luke's Videography 

Aimee sent me a text after their set to inform me that Luke wanted to marry Austin, but would settle for a photo.  I hadn't realised he liked them that much.

We did hang around a bit at the end so he managed to shake his hand and buy a tee shirt off him (with my cash, of course).

Finally, Funeral For A Friend came on stage and the crowd went mad.  A mosh pit sprang up as soon as the music started and it took up the entire floor.  I was glad the kids were safe where they were standing, and so was I ... mosh pits are always good to watch from above.

Yet another fab Welsh rock band ... sorry, post hardcore/emo/screamo band according to Wikipedia.  Great music, just my kind of thing, and a very chatty singer too.

Part way through he instructed the audience to split in half, into what Aimee tells me is called a wall of death ... nice.  It was at this point Luke headed off into the mosh, and he stayed there until the end, leaving Aimee to carry on filming >>>Aimee's Videography

I still find it incredible that grown men run into each other at high speed, throw each other around and barge into everyone they see and nobody gets annoyed.  The one man mosh pit was at it again, but this time he wasn't on his own.

Two blokes lost their shoes, and one of them went crowd surfing in an attempt to find his ... not quite sure what his thinking was there.

A few people tried to push in next to me right near the end but I wasn't going anywhere - I was wedged between the pillar and the handrail so I don't know where they thought I was going ... I considered asking but just ignored it and carried on tapping my foot.

It took me a while to get back down the stairs to the kids, but they were quite happy, and it gave Luke chance to meet his idol.  We didn't get back to the car until after 11pm so it ended up being quite a late night, but it was well worth it.

Our next gig is on Friday April 8th when the 3 of us see The Blackout, who are always good value.  This will be the first time we've seen them headlining so we're looking forward to it.

TTFN x

No comments:

Post a Comment