Thursday, February 24, 2011

WE ARE THE OCEAN plus BLITZ KIDS and SPYCATCHER

Wednesday February 23rd 2011
WE ARE THE OCEAN plus BLITZ KIDS and SPYCATCHER
Sugarmill, Stoke

For our last gig of the month we didn't have to travel far ... thank goodness.  I was finally getting to see We Are The Ocean and, even though I felt as rough as a badger's ar$e, I was looking forward to it. 

Both of my offspring were accompanying me and I also gave a couple of Aimee's friends a lift. 

Mind you once we got out of the car they all legged it as their friends were already in the queue.  I'm not a fan of queue jumping on account of my manners, so I joined the end and got swamped by the crowd.  During my time waiting to go inside I did discover that a lot of teenagers talk a load of sh!t ... excuse my French but good grief!!

Once boy standing behind me did make me laugh though - we were standing under a sign for the Sugarmill and I heard him point out that because of the way the shadow fell it looked like it said Bugarmill ... why have I never thought of that?

Finally we made our way around the corner and there was the usual nice chap handing out wristbands for those old enough to drink alcohol ... I usually hear them shout 'Is anybody legal?' which came as a shock the first time I heard it.  He asked me if I was drinking tonight love, and I responded negatively as I was driving.  There was an audible gasp of shock behind me as if they were saying 'My God, she's old enough to drink but she's choosing not to ... crazy person!'

First band on were called Spycatcher from Watford and I really enjoyed their set.  I was standing right at the back next to the merch desk where lots of people were milling about but I could still see the kids.  I had my earplugs in and was watching Little Red Riding Hoodie wandering back and forth, but there was a mosh pit almost immediately.  The Sugarmill is only small and so a mosh pit tends to engulf a lot of the crowd ... whether they like it or not.

During the interval there was a mass exodus onto the roof - people getting 'fresh' air I suppose.  I entertained myself watching various innebriated young men go into the ladies toilets ... well there wasn't much else to do.  What I didn't realise was that I was standing right next to the lead singer of Blitz Kids for the first set, not that it would have made any difference ... I'm very shy.

Blitz Kids came on to massive cheers and more moshing.  I was getting ever so slightly stressed watching Luke bobbing about all over the place but he was enjoying himself.  They were really good, and I even tapped my foot a bit!  Great set, the kids certainly loved it and knew all their songs ... which I'm afraid is more than I did.  One of the girls in Luke's group ended up with a bloody nose so I guess she'll remember the gig for various reasons.

I was surprised to see several couples around my age there, and noted that they didn't attempt the blending in approach - maybe I should try that.  Instead of buying a checked shirt and a pair of Converse I should get some tweed trousers and a body warmer ... just a thought.

Following another mass exodus and a soundcheck from a man in a Kermit the Frog vest (every roadie should have one!) We Are The Ocean appeared on stage.  Wow they're loud.  Dan Brown (left) is the 'Screaming Vocalist' according to Wikipedia, and Liam Cromby is the 'Clean Vocalist'. 

Dan is the athletic one - he climbed up onto the balcony to sing Confessions, and then had a little bit of trouble getting back to the stage.  The moshing never stopped through their entire set and I think he joined in at one point! 

As usual my cameraperson was on hand to film the proceedings here >>Aimee's Videography

They ended slightly more abruptly that anyone was expecting, having been on for just under an hour.  Dan climbed up to the other side of the balcony, right above Aimee's head so that when she looked up all she could see was his crotch.  He finished by jumping off right into the crowd!  What a nutter.  One of the Blitz Kids put it perfectly when he called him a 'mad ba$tard'!  I was gobsmacked.  I was even more gobsmacked that it ended there and the audience hung around for ages expecting them to come back out.  When I saw Dan on the merch desk I guessed it was over.

It was a great gig though and it was lovely to see all the bands hanging around to talk to fans afterwards.

I've got a week off gigging now, during which I'm going to try to get some rest so that I feel better for my trip to Blackpool next Friday.  Really looking forward to seeing Plan B, although he might be a bit out of place in a rock blog ... I don't care, I love him!

TTFN x

No comments:

Post a Comment