Thursday, March 10, 2011

D.R.U.G.S plus BLITZ KIDS and DECADE

Wednesday March 9th 2011
D.R.U.G.S plus BLITZ KIDS and DECADE
Nottingham Rock City Basement

This was a first for me going to Rock City in Nottingham and I knew it was a bit of a trek.  I had to finish work early to see the doctor again but we didn't end up leaving the house any earlier, which was a pity because it took us over an hour and a half to get there.

Still, the journey was fine, no major hold ups although my satnav did seem to think I would enjoy a scenic trip with lots of single lane winding roads ... cheers but give me a dual carriageway anyday!

It was just Aimee and I again and we had a bit of excitement on the way.  We were in a 40mph zone, travelling at the speed limit when a man on a motorbike went speeding past us.  About a minute further down the road there was a car pulled up at the side of the road, a motorbike lying on its side in the bushes and a man in a crash helmet giving the car driver lots of grief.  Oh well ... we didn't have time to stop.

We found the venue and the multi storey car park quite easily, got our chip coin and parked up, then it was about a minute's walk to Rock City.  It looked like a very nice venue but we only got as far as the basement.  The Stranglers were on in the main room.

Because of our journey time we sadly missed the first support band Decade (pronounced by Aimee as decayed, which I prefer) and so I have nothing to offer on their performance.  I've put a picture in for when they hit the big time and I can say 'I almost saw them once'.  It wasn't easy finding a picture by the way - I Googled images of 'Decade band' and practically every band ever came up.

Anway we got inside the basement which was tiny - we reckoned about as big as the Underground in Hanley, and I went to get a bottle of water.  Making my way back through the small crowd to find Aimee I noticed that I was by far the oldest person there (I don't count the security chaps ... maybe I should.)

She got right to the front as usual and I joined her just after Blitz Kids came on.  We like them.  We only saw them a couple of weeks ago and they were playing to a much bigger crowd then but they were still lovely and appreciative.

Because the place was so tiny and only half full there wasn't quite so much audience participation but they seemed to be enjoying themselves.  I asked Aimee where they're from as their accent sounded similar to mine, and she told me they're from Crewe.  I got quite depressed thinking there's a slight possibility I might know their mothers!  Lovely lads, would see them again given the chance.

Aimee and I got in the way a bit as they had to come past us with their equipment as they left the stage.  One girl offered to help carry a couple of guitars (probably basses) only to be answered with the quote of the night ... 'You can't hold my children!'  Bless.

Finally D.R.U.G.S or Destroy Rebuild Until God Shows came on stage to much applause and screeching.  I didn't know their stuff all that well although I do have their only album on my iPhone.  Anyway, they're from Michigan and only formed last year.  Aimee almost got thrust onto the stage at one point so she was close enough to do her bit for historical accuracy >>Aimee's Videography

I didn't notice til quite late on that the singer's microphone was wrapped in what looked like a paper napkin and tied up with ribbon.  Aimee tells me a lot of singers do that but its the first time I've noticed it.  I suppose their hands must get extremely sweaty.

I very much enjoyed their set, even if it was a bit short ... only 45 minutes ... but they do only have one album.  It was all over at 9.30pm so we didn't end up getting back all that late, which was a bonus.  I've never seen Aimee quite so animated - she was jumping about, arms in the air, whipping her hair - she loved it, and I love seeing her enjoying herself.

Well that's about it for now - quite a short entry for quite a short gig, but worth the effort.

We're back in Manchester on Friday night but at the Apollo this time - we like it there.  We're sitting but have fantastic seats practically right over the stage and we're seeing All Time Low who we've both wanted to see for ages and I reckon it will be a corker!

TTFN x

No comments:

Post a Comment