Wednesday, March 30, 2011

THE MAINE plus NEVERSHOUTNEVER

Wednesday March 23rd 2011
THE MAINE plus NEVERSHOUTNEVER
Manchester Academy

This was my first gig with double headliners, and I didn't even realise that's what they were until after the event.  We arrived without too much trouble and headed for the queue, which was massive!  We may as well have walked from home, it was so far to the end ... well perhaps not as long as the queue for All Time Low but still ... mind you when we got inside it was practically empty so I have no idea where everyone went.

We made use of the facilities and then went into the main hall where Aimee assumed her usual position and I went to the bar.  I then assumed my usual position over on the left out of the way.

Whilst waiting for the gig to begin I noticed a girl back-combing her hair without the aid of a mirror!  What is the world coming to?!  I've seen some goings on at these events but nothing quite that dangerous.

First on were Nevershoutnever and it appeared that most of the audience had come to see them, even though it was basically just Chris the singer and a naked drummer. 

(I later realised he wasn't naked but was wearing a grey vest!)

Nevershoutnever is basically Christofer Drew Ingle from Missouri and when he tours he has musicians with him.  He's only 20 ... bless.  Aimee says he doesn't believe in shoes ("well he probably believes they exist!") and so was barefoot, which I must admit I didn't notice despite the crowd in front of me being remarkably short for a change!

They were on for an hour and the crowd absolutely loved them.
Aimee recorded them for your viewing pleasure here >>>Aimee's Videography  She did tell me that its ages since he last came over to England which I suspect explains the hysteria but I very much enjoyed their music.  It makes a change for me to hear some acoustic pop music rather than deafening rock music (she says whilst listening to Bullet For My Valentine on the laptop!)

Unfortunately my visit to the bar meant I needed to pay a different kind of visit just as they were coming to the end of their set.  I decided to go as they started their last song and what a good move that was ... the ladies were empty, but when I went back inside the rest of the audience seemed to be coming the other way!

During the interval I had a good chance to have a look around, as well as sending Aimee text message pictures of smiling turds.

The first thing I noticed ... well I couldn't miss them actually ... was a beautiful pair of patent yellow Doc Martens which were being modelled by a young girl to my left.  She'll never get lost in the snow when she's wearing those! 

Then, sitting on the floor to my right, was the ginger girl who looked just like the singer out of We The Kings.  I was so excited by this revelation that I texted Aimee to tell her ... who was texting me the exact same news at the exact same time.  I'm sure I saw her first though!

I also saw a bloke who looked like Bob off Twin Peaks, but if you're under 40 you'll have no idea who I mean!  He was very scary though.

Some poor girl was pulled from the crowd and ended up in the recovery position on the security lady's table.  Either that or she was having a kip ... but she didn't look at all well.

The Maine appeared at 9.30 to lots of cheers and the usual squealing. 

They are from Phoenix, Arizona and are classed as a pop punk band. 


Again, I liked them a lot and they were very nice young men.  The singer even refused to remove his shirt!  He was wearing an amazing pair of cowboy boots though, so no footwear phobia here.

They apparently needed a bit of help during their set and so got a young lad called Danny up on stage with them.  He was as giddy as a kipper and grinned inanely all through the song, but didn't do much singing.  He certainly enjoyed himself though.

The crowd thinned out a bit about half way through and the hall looked half empty from where I was.  I spotted a conga line a bit further back but thankfully it didn't go all the way around the room.

During the last couple of songs I was aware of a girl standing at the side of me, and then she was stooping, then she stood up again.  She took out of her bag what looked like a school book and was trying to write in it by the light of her Blackberry.  Very strange.

It was all over at 10.30 and we had a great journey home - there weren't even any roads closed ... bit boring really!

Back next time with a review of Funeral For A Friend at the Sugarmill.

TTFN x

No comments:

Post a Comment