Sunday, July 17, 2011

PANIC! AT THE DISCO plus LOVE LETTERS

Monday May 16th 2011
PANIC! AT THE DISCO plus LOVE LETTERS
Manchester Academy

Back to Manchester again and this time Aimee's friend Jess and my friend's son Sam came with us.  We had a good journey but when we got there, there was already a massive queue.

Sam was a bit nervous to say the least - he said he didn't like crowds!  Perhaps a gig wasn't really the place for him. 

I tried to calm him down by telling him that actually this queue looked quite safe compared to some of the crowds I'd seen ... I don't think it helped!  What really didn't help was the homeless guy accosting us for cash with the fabulous quote of the night
"Put a smile on a homeless person's face?"
I apologised to him and said I didn't carry cash, and when he'd gone I told the kids that homeless people really shouldn't be smiling anyway!  They all laughed ... teenagers are so heartless.

Love Letters were on first and sadly I haven't managed to find a picture of them ... I did Google 'Love Letters' but I could have been on there days before the right picture appeared.  I also don't remember them, especially as I have no picture to remind me...sorry!  I was spending most of this time trying to keep Sam calm.  I have never met anyone quite so stressed in a crowd of people.  He was desperate for a cigarette but didn't have any, and I was convinced he was going to hyperventilate.

I bought him a drink and we both stood at the side by the wall, as far away from people as we could get.  We had been given some leaflets showing forthcoming gigs and I folded these up beautifully to create a couple of handy fans for us to waft ourselves.  It was incredibly hot in there.

By the time Panic! At The Disco came on Sam wanted to leave, bless him.  I managed to get him to stay and I think he enjoyed it.  Both of the girls loved it - no surprise there.  I would have enjoyed it far more if I didn't have Sam to worry about, but I still sang along and they were brilliant.  They hadn't been to the UK for ages and their fans were really excited to see them.

Aimee did her job brilliantly as usual - see her footage here>>Aimee's Videography

It has become tradition now that when we exit the Academy we head straight to the Sainsburys Express across the road to get cold drinks.  Despite hating the idea, I bought Sam a pack of ciggies in the hope it would stop him from keeling over.  He had a smoke on the way back to the car and I could tell it had helped.  Shame..  Somehow I don't think he'll come to another gig with us.

Framing Hanley in Wolverhampton is next.
TTFN x


No comments:

Post a Comment